Friday, October 7, 2011

Poll Results: X-114 is the Winner

In my scientific and representative random and completely meaningless poll asking which of the two initial Widmer Rotator IPAs you preferred, you have given X-114 a resounding victory.  

But I suspect that as random and unscientific this poll was, this is reflective of the general mood.  The X-114 is not beloved by all, the Citra hops don't dance on all tongues like they do on mine, but the Falconer's IPA is, I think fairly undistinguished.  Which does not mean it is not a great IPA (and worlds above the entirely forgettable Broken Halo) but X-114 has character that differentiates it from other great IPAs - which is about as high a compliment as I can pay.

I'm excited for the next iteration - this whole Rotator business is genius (assuming X-114 comes back regularly).

2 comments:

Bill Night said...

I voted for X-114, but I also like the Falconer's. I wouldn't call it undistinguished. One cool thing about it is the massive aspirin bitterness in the finish -- maybe not for everyone, but it's something I enjoy.

Patrick Emerson said...

Yes, you are right indistinct is what I was going for but it is true that one distinctive feature is the astringent finish.